What Happens If The Driver Who Hit Me Fled The Scene of The Accident?
For many car accident victims, the moments following the crash can be a blur of confusion and stress. And when the driver of the other vehicle flees the scene it can seem overwhelming at first. That’s why it’s important to stay as calm as possible in these situations: it could mean the difference between a full compensation or years of pain and suffering.
Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime, and once a driver leaves the scene it becomes a criminal investigation. If the police are able to locate the driver, it is best to contact an attorney who specializes in car accidents and personal injury as soon as possible to improve your chances of full compensation.Even if the at-fault driver is never found, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages through Florida’s uninsured motorist laws.
Watching the vehicle that just caused your crash quickly speeding away afterwards can leave you feeling helpless without the right advice. We are here to help you confidently know exactly what to do if you find yourself in this situation. So what is the first thing to do if the other driver leaves the scene of the accident?
Steps to Take After a Hit and Run Crash
- Remain Calm: The first thing you should do is remain calm, do not chase the other vehicle, and check yourself for any injuries.
- Description of Fleeing Vehicle: Note the description of the other vehicle – particularly the color, make, and model of the vehicle as well as a description of the driver. Write down the license plate if possible. The police may be able to locate the fleeing vehicle.
- Call 911: Contact emergency services as soon as possible and remain at the scene. It’s best to wait until after you have calmed down to call your insurance company, so as to not jeopardize your claim with any statements made under stress.
- Gather Information: Take note of any witnesses to the accident that may be able to identify the vehicle, particularly if it was in a busy area like a shopping center or neighborhood. There may also be cameras around that captured the accident.
- Photos: Take photos of all relevant information – especially vehicle damage.
- Call Us: It is important to contact an experienced attorney immediately after being involved in an accident.
If someone is injured in an auto accident and the other driver flees the scene, the injured person should act as quickly as possible to preserve their rights to compensation. Calling the paramedics and police as soon as possible from the accident scene is paramount to collecting the necessary information that will lead to your full compensation in the long run.
What are your rights? We’re here to help. At Hines Law, we represent people who have been injured in car accidents caused by other drivers’ negligence.
Insurance Liability and Compensation
- If the other driver is found and has insurance, you can file a claim with their insurance company.
- If the other driver does not have insurance, you can file a claim with your own insurance company, if you have uninsured motorist coverage.
- If neither you nor the other driver have insurance, you should seek legal help and advice from a car accident lawyer.
Reach Out to An Accident Attorney
If you’ve been injured in an auto accident and the other driver is at-fault and/or has fled the scene, it’s important you contact an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. An experienced lawyer can protect your rights and help you receive compensation that is rightfully yours.
Our Orlando-based law firm focuses on representing clients in personal injury and auto accident cases. We are dedicated to helping accident victims recover the compensation they deserve and helping them get the medical care they need. We are experienced in handling cases involving insurance companies and we fight to get the compensation you deserve.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident and the other driver fled the scene, don’t wait any longer. Reach out to our experienced car accident lawyers at Hines Law today and we will help you get the compensation you deserve.